Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Review - Into the Unknown

Review by Danielle Asciak

At 10.30pm last Saturday night, I was caught at the corner of Swanston and Collins street by a man asking that awkward question, ‘do you have any loose change?’ Many ignore or reply with, ‘sorry I just used my change’ or ‘got no change on me’. I stood on the corner, struck dumb. It was only an hour before this encounter that I heard this exact question in the Union House Theatre Mudfest11 developing production, Into the Unknown. I was going to reply with my automatic response but Eleanor Bally’s innocent begging was echoing and I was ready to hand over a gold coin to the homeless man.

Into the Unknown: A play about encounters with strangers in public places is a work that I would like to describe as an artists playground. It is a theatrically devised collaboration by artists Eleanor Bally, Tom Gutteridge, Joshua Lynzaat, Olivia McCombe, Ian Wilding and Mattie Young. From the very beginning, the actors own the space and transport the audience to the unknown. In some parts, the unknown was very familiar and I found myself reflecting on the times that I fantasized on the tram or was faced by a drunken wannabe hero on the train. The four actors Eleanor, Josh, Olivia and Mattie share a wonderful stage presence and chemistry. They articulate the narrative with consistent enthusiasm. Eleanor delivered a standout performance with beautiful sincerity and tenderness. The unknown that night looked like incredible fun and I ready to explore more.

There were moments that dragged but as it is a work in progress, emphasized by the brainstorms on the butcher paper pasted on the theatre’s walls, these moments can be excused. The performance encourages you to ride on the train into the unknown without hesitation and a willingness to embrace your next encounter with the stranger sitting next to you. Are you ready to travel into the unknown?

Into the Unknown has two final shows this Friday 28 & Saturday 29 August at 8:30pm in the Guild Theatre, Union House, $15/$10/$8. Bookings: union.unimelb.edu.au/tickets

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Search This Blog